British Govt apologises for Peter Obi’s illegal detention
British government apologizes to Peter Obi over illegal detention
The United Kingdom government has apologized to the Presidential candidate of the Labour party, Peter Obi, after an immigration official admitted he wrongly handed him a detention note in a search of man who impersonated him to commit perjury, forgery, and identity theft.
A statement released on Labour party’s website says the UK government also said the uncomplimentary treatment he received was “completely unacceptable,” and issued a personal apology.
“Frankly, the Immigration Official’s action – has been appalling – and we are sorry,” the UK Immigration authorities was quoted as saying
The spokesman for the party’s Campaign Council, Diran Onifade, who made this known via a statement released on Wednesday, April 12, said the former governor of Anambra was detained and questioned for a duplication offense suggesting that someone must have been impersonating him in London.
The immigration officials were said to have accosted Obi when he arrived the Heathrow Airport in London from Nigeria on Good Friday, April 7, 2023. While on the queue for the necessary airport protocols, the officials handed him a detention note and told him to step aside.
“He was questioned for a long time and it was very strange for a man who lived for over a decade in that country. Since the impersonator is still at large, the scenario is unimaginable as Obi could be implicated in a series of forbidden acts and even be framed in a manner that could be a huge embarrassment to him, his family, his party, the obidient Movement, and indeed Nigeria, where he currently and indisputably remains the conscience of the people.
The immigration officials who were also taken aback at the reaction of the people were forced to reveal that Obi was being questioned for a ‘DUPLICATION offense’ meaning that someone has been impersonating him in London.
The high implication of the offense is that the impersonator could be committing all kinds of weighty crimes and other dubious acts and it would be recorded in Obi’s name,” Onifade said
Recall that last week, the federal government accused Obi and his running mate Datti Baba-Ahmed of treason, for allegedly” inciting people to violence” following the outcome of the February 25 presidential election. Obi, who came third in the election has gone to court to challenge the victory of the candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- NGF: Tinubu congratulates Gov. AbdulRazaq, Uzodinma
- Alleged N4bn: EFCC drills Ex-Gov. Kayode Fayemi in Ilorin
- I never indicated interest to be 10th Assembly’s Senate President— Lawan
- Insecurity: Tinubu gives Service Chiefs Matching Order
- Breaking…..CBN debunks rumour on alleged Naira devaluation
- Folashade Tinubu adds ‘First Daughter of FRN’ to her Twitter bio
- INEC rejects certified true copies of documents tendered by Atiku, PDP
- CBN devalues Naira to 630 per dollar
- Hajj 2023: Again, MAX Air makes another emergency landing in Kano
- How MDAs abused N3.8trn Service Wide Vote, by Senate