Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari will not address the nation today, a presidential spokesman has said.
Femi Adesina in a tweet on Monday afternoon said there is “no presidential broadcast on COVID-19 updates today.”
“None was planned. Rather, the Presidential Task Force will during its usual media briefings bring the nation up to speed on the next steps.”
The clarifications came after Sani Aliyu, the national coordinator of the presidential task force (PTF) on COVID-19, said the president will make his decision on Monday following the end of the first phase of the gradual easing of the COVID-19 lockdown.
The president was given a situation report on COVID-19 by Boss Mustapha, secretary to the government of the federation (SGF) and chairman of the PTF, on Sunday.
When asked if the PTF is thinking of taking a different direction seeing that many Nigerians have been flouting guidelines for the ease of lockdown, the task force coordinator noted that the President is the only one who can decide on whether or not the country should go ahead with the second phase of lockdown ease.
He said the task force has been reviewing and monitoring quite closely, stressing that there are some concerns in terms of the implementation.
Aliyu added that recommendations have been made to the President and everyone will have to wait for his decision on Monday.
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death
- Gov. AbdulRazaq inaugurates APC campaign council in Kwara
- Media expert harps on importance of free press on democracy