President Muhammadu Buhari has pronounced the dissolution of the 8th session of the National Assembly and announced the proclamation of the 9th session billed to commence on Tuesday, June 11.
The 8th Assembly, which was inaugurated on June 9, 2015, comes to an end on June 6.
Speaking with journalists on Thursday in his office, Clerk to the National Assembly, CNA, Alhaji Mohammed Sani-Omolori, confirmed receipt of letter to that effect from the President.
He said: “I want to confirm that I have received proclamation from the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“The first is on the dissolution of the 8th National Assembly, while the other one is on the convening of the first session of the ninth National Assembly.
“The proclamation of the dissolution of the 8th National Assembly takes effect from 12 midnight of 8th June.
“By implication, from 8th of June by 12 midnight, the eight National Assembly stands dissolved.
“Similarly, the Ninth National Assembly will be inaugurated and first sitting will be held on Tuesday 11th of June by 10:00 a.m. in the National Assembly complex.”
On the recent controversial letter of proclamation purportedly sent by President Buhari, the CNA said the one by which he made the confirmation was addressed to him.
“Well, I have just confirmed to you that I have received the proclamation from the president which means that this is addressed to me,” he said.
Meanwhile, the National Assembly management has given the outgoing Senators three days to handover office keys and other assets in their possession.
The Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, gave the announcement yesterday at the beginning of the valedictory session of the 8th National Assembly in Abuja.
Reading the letter by the Committee on Recovery and Preparation of the 8th Assembly Offices’ Furniture and Equipment for Ninth Senate titled: ”Handing Over of Office Keys, Furniture Equipment,” Saraki urged the lawmakers to hand them over between Thursday and Saturday.
”Please inform all the distinguished senators that the handing over of office keys, furniture and office equipment will commence today, Thursday June 6 through to Saturday the June 8.
”Distinguished senators are, accordingly, enjoined to contact the committee in charge of the exercise in the Senate Committee Room 107 which is in the new Senate Building between the hours of 9am to 5pm for the handing over,” he said.
- Ex-Gov. Ahmed to be charge to court soon– EFCC
- Oyo Govt Reopens Industrial Facility Sealed Over Pollution
- Customs deploys new Area Controller to Kwara
- Senate probes cement, other building materials’ prices increase
- Kwara students applaud AbdulRazaq for pro-masses programmes
- Senate rejects planned electricity tariff hike, probes N2trn subsidy requirements
- CBN’s Monetary Policy C’ttee nominees proffer solutions to FX, food crisis
- Senate confirms NHIA, NPC, NAHCON nominees
- Abuja lawyer, Maxwell Opara drags Tinubu to Court over alleged lopsided appointments
- Kwara AGILE to Secure Future of Children – KWSG