President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo are expected to attend the All Progressives Congress mega rally in Umuahia, Abia State on Tuesday.
Other APC chieftains expected at the rally include the National Chairman, Chief John Oyegun and the Chairman of the Progressives Governors Forum, Governor Rochas Okorocha.
The state Publicity Secretary of the party, Mr. Benedict Godson, who said this on Friday, added that the new entrants into the party would be received during the rally.
He stated that the party intended to use the rally to announce its preparedness to take over governance in the state and other states in the South-East in 2019.
He said the APC had done well since it took over the reins at the centre by providing a level-playing field for all political parties to pursue their agendas without the fear of intimidation.
He said, “The Abia mega really will be the first APC rally in the South in 2018 and we want to use it to tell the world that we are ready to take over the Abia Government House and other state government houses in the South-East. We also want to use the occasion of the rally to pledge our support for the President Buhari to run for the 2019 presidential election.
“We will also receive prominent politicians of Abia State extraction like Chief Orji Uzor Kalu, Dr. Uche Ogah, Chief Chineye Ike and others who thought it wise to join the party in the last few months.”
Speaking on zoning the governorship, he stated that, “we don’t have candidates and we can’t have an anointed candidate.” According to him, the party’s governorship candidate could emerge from any part of the state.
“We believe that there are some persons with governorship ambitions and they have not made it open to us. We are not zoning the governorship slot. It is open. We want a credible person to emerge. We need change in the state.
“We need a credible and reliable person who can change the life of Abians and develop Abia. It doesn’t matter the part of Abia the person is coming from. The APC is desirous of change and ensuring that Abia is developed. We want Abians to feel the impact of governance.”
He maintained that the APC in the state is formidable enough to win elections into various political positions.
- ICPC arrest: D’banj reacts to alleged Npower fraud
- UK govt finally declared candidate to support in 2023 polls
- Vote en masse for me in 2023, Atiku begs Osun people
- Kwara Govt approves scholarship for Law students
- Bernard Arnault overtakes Elon Musk, emerges world’s richest
- Fuel Scarcity: Give us petrol at official ex-depot price, lPMAN tasks NNPC
- We have no hands in appointment of VCs– NUC
- World Cup quarter-finals: Morocco vs. Portugal on Saturday
- Adamawa establishes 5 sexual referral centres – Official
- Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy named Time’s 2022 Person of the Year