President Muhammadu Buhari at the weekend congratulated Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama on his appointment as the Archbishop of the Catholic Archdiocese of Abuja by Pope Francis, following the retirement of John Cardinal Onaiyekan.
A statement by presidential spokesman, Malam Garba Shehu, said Buhari noted that as the immediate past President of Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), former Archbishop of Jos, former President of the Episcopal Conference of West African Catholic Bishops and former Chairman of the Plateau State Inter-religious Committee for Peace, Kaigama had played active roles in promoting peace, inter-faith dialogue and mutual understanding between Christians and Muslims in the country.
“As His Grace, Archbishop Kaigama begins a new phase of his ministry, the President joins all members of the Catholic Church across Nigeria in praying for a successful and memorable tenure in office that will see the Church accomplish great things for the unity and prosperity of the nation, while complementing government’s efforts at human and material development,” the statement said.
It also said the president felicitated with the Archbishop Emeritus, Onaiyekan, on his retirement, commending him for his dedicated service to the Catholic Church, and invaluable contributions to the spiritual life of Christians under his pastoral care.
“Recounting previous audiences with CBCN in the past few years, the President appreciates the many contributions Catholics have made to Nigeria’s development and assures the leadership of the Church of his government’s active support to faith-based organisations as partners in progress,” the statement added
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory