The Bishop of the Catholic diocese of Oyo, Emmanuel Badejo, has declared that Muslims have a right to Islamise Nigeria.
Badejo said this was because the person in power was a ‘Muslim’.
He chided Christians for complaining about it, adding that they had the opportunity to ‘Christianize’ Nigeria but failed to do so.
“I’ve always shared the view of one of our leaders, John Cardinal Onaiyekan. I believe that Muslims have an Islamisation agenda, and they have a right to have it. Do Christians have a Christianisation agenda? .
“Yes, I hope so and we have a right to have it. The Muslims are pursuing an agenda; why are we not pursuing ours? Nigeria, for many many years, had a larger number of Christians in power. We failed when we should have worked, and that even now, instead of trying to catch up on our lapses, we’re busy pointing fingers.
“It’s part of Islam to Islamise; is it not part of our own programme too to evangelise? How much of it are we doing?
Badejo added, “The education curriculum, which caused so much row recently, was approved when a Christian was chair of the body. Christians are not an insignificant population in Nigeria. The next question to ask is: what kind of Christians? .
“A large part of Christians today are Christians in name, who pursue power, position, privileges. That’s not Christianity. And that’s where I come to the issue of the prosperity gospel.
“We have not yet done research on how much damage prosperity gospel has done to the psyche of Christianity in our country. Prosperity gospel provides cheap solutions to complex realities of life and so many people have heard it.
“They believe that it is actually possible to have cancer and pray it away when doctors are actually available; that it is possible to fail exams, and still become the director of a bank, if you pray enough.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections