The Bishop of the Catholic diocese of Oyo, Emmanuel Badejo, has declared that Muslims have a right to Islamise Nigeria.
Badejo said this was because the person in power was a ‘Muslim’.
He chided Christians for complaining about it, adding that they had the opportunity to ‘Christianize’ Nigeria but failed to do so.
“I’ve always shared the view of one of our leaders, John Cardinal Onaiyekan. I believe that Muslims have an Islamisation agenda, and they have a right to have it. Do Christians have a Christianisation agenda? .
“Yes, I hope so and we have a right to have it. The Muslims are pursuing an agenda; why are we not pursuing ours? Nigeria, for many many years, had a larger number of Christians in power. We failed when we should have worked, and that even now, instead of trying to catch up on our lapses, we’re busy pointing fingers.
“It’s part of Islam to Islamise; is it not part of our own programme too to evangelise? How much of it are we doing?
Badejo added, “The education curriculum, which caused so much row recently, was approved when a Christian was chair of the body. Christians are not an insignificant population in Nigeria. The next question to ask is: what kind of Christians? .
“A large part of Christians today are Christians in name, who pursue power, position, privileges. That’s not Christianity. And that’s where I come to the issue of the prosperity gospel.
“We have not yet done research on how much damage prosperity gospel has done to the psyche of Christianity in our country. Prosperity gospel provides cheap solutions to complex realities of life and so many people have heard it.
“They believe that it is actually possible to have cancer and pray it away when doctors are actually available; that it is possible to fail exams, and still become the director of a bank, if you pray enough.”
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative
- NLC suspends nationwide protest
- Names of Tinubu’s aides following him to Qatar revealed (See List)
- Group petitions Tinubu, others over N20bn LGs fraud in Benue
- Banks to face N1trn recapitalization as Senate plans six years term for CBN Gov.
- BREAKING….Senate begins probe of Ajaokuta Steel Coy, NIOMCO over $496m payment
- (VIDEO) Vigilantes rescue abducted victims, kill one kidnapper, apprehend others in Kwara
- IOC’s Divestment: We Facilitate, Not Hinder Process — NNPCL
- Introduce Food Stamps prog to tackle hunger, Senate urges FG
- Senate confirms Bakari as NFIU director