President Muhammadu Buhari has formally requested the Senate to confirm the appointment of Major General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff, COAS.
The request was contained in a letter addressed to the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, and read on Tuesday during resumption of plenary.
Buhari in the letter said Yahaya’s appointment was in compliance with the provisions of Section 18 subsection 1 of the Armed Forces Act 2004.
The letter reads in part: “In compliance with the provisions of section 18(1) of the Armed Forces Act Cap A20 laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004, I hereby forward for confirmation by the Senate, the appointment of Major General Farouk Yahaya as the Chief of Army Staff of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“His CV is herewith attached. It is my hope that the Senate will consider and confirm the nominee in the usual expeditious manner.”
President Buhari had about a week ago appointed the nominee following the demise of the immediate past Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru, who died in a plane crash along with 10 other senior military officers near the Kaduna International Airport.
This disclosure is contained in a statement issued and signed by the military spokesperson, Brigadier-General Onyema Nwachukwu.
Until his new appointment, General Yahaya was the General Officer Commanding 1 Division of the Nigerian Army and the incumbent Theatre Commander of the Counter-terrorism Counter Insurgency military outfit in the North East code-named Operation HADIN KAI.
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG