By Olugbenga Salami
President Muhammadu Buhari has notified the Senate of his decision to substitute Chief Olabode Akeem Mustapha with Mrs. Ronke Sokefun as the chairman, Governing Board of the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation, NDIC.
Buhari’s letter on the substitution, dated October 23, 2018 was read yesterday by the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, on the floor of the upper legislative chamber in Abuja.
The president reminded the senators in the letter that his earlier request for confirmation of the appointment of Chief Olabode Akeem Mustapha as the chairman of the NDIC vide letter dated March 27, is yet to be confirmed by the Senate.
“I now write to inform you of my decision to substitute Chief Olabode Akeem Mustapha with Mrs. Ronke Sokefun as the chairman of the Governing Board”, he stated.
Buhari therefore requested the Senate to consider and confirm the appointment of Sokefun as the chairman of NDIC as well as other members whose names had earlier been forwarded.
He, however, appealed to the upper legislative chamber to treat his request with the usual expeditious consideration.
In a similar development, the president also sought the senate approval for Dr. Kabiru Nakaura from North West as the chairman, board of the National Bureau of Statistics, NBS.
Buhari’s request is contained in another letter dated October 24 and titled, Constitution of the Governing Board of the National Bureau of Statistics”, was read by the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki during plenary.
Those nominated as members of the board are Mr. Akinola I. Basher from South West, Prof. Moses I. Momoh-South South, Wallijoh Danladi Ahijoh -North Central, Adam Modu-North East and Nwafor Paul Chukwudi from South of East, respectively.
The letter reads: “In compliance with Section 8(2) a & j of the Statistics Act, 2010, I write to forward herewith names of the chairman and members of the board of National Bureau of Statistics for confirmation by the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria”.
The president, however, appealed for urgent consideration of his request by the Red Chamber.
- EFCC takes over Uzor Kalu’s properties after conviction
- SAD…. Mimiko looses 88yr-old mother
- (SEE FULL DETAILS) Kwara commissioners and their portfolios
- BREAKING… Party loyalists storm Ilorin as Gov. Abdulrazaq swears-in 16 commissioners, 4 SAs, others
- 100 Ekiti women benefit from NITDA ICT training
- UNILORIN don reveals how theatre art can contribute to national devt.
- Man grusomely murdered in Ilorin by unknown assailants (PHOTOS)
- Sowore: Senate probes alleged court invasion by DSS operatives
- 2020: Senate considers N232.8bn budget for FCT
- Senate moves to end discrimination against women Police