The minister of Communications, Barrister Adebayo Shittu, has attacked the national chairman of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) Comrade Adams Oshiomole, for demanding the resignation of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Mahmood Yakubu.
He faulted the request as unfair and unacceptable stressing that “if the chairman of the umpire resigns, it may affect the conduct of the rescheduled general elections on Saturday.”
The minister who spoke with reporters at his Ibadan residence urged Nigerians to give the INEC chairman a benefit of doubt.
“I will not support such call for resignation of the INEC chairman. To err is human. We have not seen any political motivation as to what has happened in INEC. If Oshiomhole calls for resignation of the INEC chairman, he should also be preparing to resign as chairman. Did anybody ask him to resign for the horrible management of primary elections under his watch?
“This is the first election that Professor Yakubu will be conducting, so we need to give him the benefit of doubt and I will advise that all the political parties should be vigilant.
“If you bring in another chairman, when does such person begin to learn the process? Or will you on the basis of that call for another rescheduling of the elections?” he said
- Emir of Bauchi’s brother found dead
- PHOTO NEWS: FG empowers women in Kebbi
- Gov. Adeleke reacts to tribunal’s judgement, vows to appeal
- BREAKING….Ademola Adeleke sacked as Osun Governor
- Kebbi assembly deputy speaker, 5 other resign appointments
- Adamawa guber candidate dies
- Lawyer sues CBN, seeks extension of deadline for old naira notes
- CBN unveils domestic card to strengthen payments system
- SHOCKING… Governor loses son
- Banks in Ogun applauded over circulation of new naira notes