Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has released photos from her wedding to honour her late parents and to also inspire young men and women who question any kind of convention.
She pointed out that most wedding traditions sideline the mother of the bride, while allowing the father walk the bride down the aisle, get a dance with the bride, and make a speech.
She said that on her wedding day years ago, she decided both her mother and her father would walk her down the aisle.
She also decided to get a dance with not just her father but also with her mother.
She said she told friends and family not to share photos after the wedding because she wanted privacy but she’s sharing it now “to publicly honour the rare and wonderful woman” that was her mother.
She also said that she’s sharing it to inspire young people who want the courage to go against convention.
She added: ‘Convention is something made up by somebody and then repeated by others. If convention feels wrong for you, if your skin bristles and your spirit stalls at the thought of doing something “the way it is done,” then stop and act.?
‘We can make changes. We can try and craft small slices of the life we want.?
‘We can unmake convention to make things more just, more complete, more beautiful.?
‘Not everyone will be happy with you, because it is human nature to try and conserve things as they are, but your spirit will feel full, and there is nothing more meaningful than knowing you have been true to yourself.’
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal