The Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen (SAN), on Monday swore in 29 new Senior Advocates of Nigeria.
The new SANs sworn in at the Special Court of the Supreme Court in Abuja included a Lagos lawyer, Mr. Festus Keyamo and the Alliance for Democracy’s candidate in the last governorship election in Ondo State, and a former National Legal Adviser of the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Olusola Oke.
The inauguration of the new SANs is part of the proceedings of a special court session marking the commencement of the new 2017/2018 legal year of the Supreme Court.
The event was presided over by the CJN, who warned the new SANs not to abuse their new position or else it would be withdrawn.
He said, “I must remind you that being a privilege, it can, and shall be withdrawn if abused.
“The privilege you are conferred with today is not intended as a weapon of intimidation or licence for rudeness and arrogance.
“It is an appointment that places both moral and professional duties on you, for which you have been found worthy to bear and discharge.
“As members of the Inner Bar, you now occupy positions of trust and great responsibility.
“Expectedly, you must imbibe every virtue of excellence, integrity, and diligence at all times. You must also remember your duties to the Courts as custodians of justice.”
Also a brother to the Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, Akinlolu Osinbajo, who is a former Attorney-General and Commissioner of Justice in Ogun State; a former Director-General of the Nigerian Copyright Commission, Prof. Adebambo Adewepo, and the Director-General of the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, Prof. Adedeji Adekunle, were also among the new SANs.
They also included Chibuike Nwokeukwu, Johnnie Egwuonwu, Bert Igwilo, Sylvester Enema, Ikenna Egbuna and Wilcox Aberton.
Others included, Michael Alliyu, Francis Egele, Nasser Dangiri, Emeka Okpoko, Sani Garun-Gabbas, Abdul Ibrahim, John Odubela, Gboyega Oyewole and Joshua Musa.
They also included, Ibrahim Mohammed, Ekemejero Ohwovorile,Oyetola Oshobi, Sulaiman Usman, Kehinde Ogunwumiju, Chiesonu Okpoko and Kamaldeen Ajibade.
The rest are Professors Enefiok Essien, and Sadiq Shikyl.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal