Prof Damian Opata of the Department of English and Literary Studies, University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) says the death of John Pepper Clark, is a great loss to the literary world.
Opata said this in Nsukka on Wednesday while reacting to the death of Clark on Tuesday October 13.
He said Clark was a renowned creative writer and poet whose literary works contributed immensely to the development of literature and education.
“I received the news of the literary giant demise with shock and sadness.
‘The death of Clark has robbed the world of a creative writer, renowned poet, erudite professor and a literary icon,” he said.
The Don said Clark used his literary work to educate, inspire, persuade as well as to promote the culture of his people.
“Clark will forever be remembered for his numerous literary work that have contributed immensely to the development of literature as well as impacted positively to humanity.
“The death of the renowned poet and literary giant marks the end of an era,” he said.
Opata urged the family of Clark, relations and entire country to take solace that the literary giant lived a exemplary life as well as used his life to impact positively to mankind in chosen field of study.
In her tribute, Dr Adaobi Nwoye, President, Coal City Literary Forum, regretted that Clark died unsung.
Nwoye noted that many young writers never knew about him adding that they should borrow a leaf from him and condemn social ills in their literary works.
”Contemporary writers no longer write like Clark who always passed strong messages in his literary works. That is what he stood for,”.
She prayed for the repose of his soul saying that he would surely be missed.
It would be recalled that, John Pepper Clark, the renowned Poet and Emeritus Professor of Literature, from Kiagbodo in Burutu Local Government Area of Delta State, died on Tuesday October 13, at the age of 85.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide