The Senate on Monday set machinery in motion towards mitigating against Climate Change in Nigeria .
The move as declared by its Committee on Ecology and Climate Change , is necessitated by the disturbing high rate of gas emission in the country with attendant adversed effect on Climate.
Briefing Senate Corrspondents on the planned mitigation, the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Lawal Hassan Anka ( APC Zamfara West) , said a National Green Summit will soon hold for way out of the imminent environmental disaster.
According to Senator Anka , Nigeria is a high net gas emitter and has consistently ranked among the 10th highest gas emitting countries in the world.
” We are currently the seventh largest gas flaring Nation in the world , this combined with other emission sources like oil spillage and non – oil sector , notably agriculture , transportation and power sector.
” Cumulatively , the country has witnessed the lake Chad basin rapidly drying up and the entire country has also been assailed by climate – induced conflicts leading to high human casualties and unquantifiable material losses “, he lamented.
He stated further that it is as a result of this development that National Green Summit has been put together for stakeholders to brainstorm on the way forward.
He added that the theme of the summit is ” Collective Action for Gas Emission Reduction and Climate Change Mitigation in Nigeria”.
Senator Lawal Anka also disclosed that the summit will come up in August this year.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated