By Adekunle Ogbonnaiye, Ado-Ekiti
Authority of the College of Education in Ikere-Ekiti have closed down the institution following a violent clash that broke out on Monday between some students and commercial drivers over the rape of a female student of the College of Education, in Ikere-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
The 200 level student was alleged to have been raped by a commercial
driver along College-Igbara Odo road on Sunday. The lady, who was said to be having malaria fever and went to town to seek medical treatment , was allegedly raped by a commercial driver fondly called, Akoto driver, at about 8pm.
Enraged by the action, students of the College on Monday trooped to the streets and dealt with any known commercial driver sighted along the way.
The protesters block the the Ado-Ikere-Akure way and disrupted traffic flow for several hours.
Those traveling to Akure had to take a detour and returned to Ado Ekiti to prevent being caught in the web of violence that engulfed the town.
The violence also disrupted commercial activities at Odo Oja area of Ikere-Ekiti as many of them hurriedly closed shop probably to prevent looting of their wares.
It was gathered that the lady has been taken to hospital for medical treatment. When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Ekiti Command, Mr. Alberto Adeyemi, described the rape as the highest point of criminality which he said would not be tolerated.
Adeyemi said normalcy has returned to the beleaguered town and that the police have launched a serious manhunt for the alleged rapist.
“Yes, the lady was sick and was being conveyed to the College when she was raped. The police don’t tolerate any criminal action in any way and this won’t be an exemption.
“We have launched a manhunt for the man. The police are on his trail and we shall bring him to justice by the grace of God”, he explained.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections