The Kwara State College of Education, Ilorin Students took to the street on Monday, to protest non-payment of their lecturers six months’ salary.
The students commenced the protest from their school premises to Ibrahim Taiwo road, Unity area and to the state Government House.
Although, the Kwara State says it has released the sum of N125million as June 2018 subvention to all the state-owned tertiary institutions.
The State Commissioner for Tertiary Education, Mr Abdullahi Alkinla who disclosed this to newsmen in Ilorin on Monday, said that the State Governor, Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed had approved the release of the funds since last week Wednesday.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the students who are supposed to start their semester examination on Monday were left stranded as lecturers from the institution commenced industrial action over nonpayment of their salaries by the Kwara State Government.
The students embarked on peaceful protest under the watch of the Department of State Security chanting different Aluta songs and carrying placards with various inscriptions such as ” Pay our lecturers six months’ salary “, ” Maigida are you not collecting salary? “.
The protest later led to crisis when men of the Kwara State Command of the Nigeria Police Force released tear gas on the protesting students which culminated in the students hurling stones in retaliation.
A student union leader that spoke on condition of anonymity, said the students took to the street to protest nonpayment of their lecturer’s salary which affected their exams that supposed to commence today.
He said “What a state government! In the middle of semester exams, lecturers of Kwara COED Ilorin went on strike. We students that supposed to write exams today were left stranKwara
- ICPC arrest: D’banj reacts to alleged Npower fraud
- UK govt finally declared candidate to support in 2023 polls
- Vote en masse for me in 2023, Atiku begs Osun people
- Kwara Govt approves scholarship for Law students
- Bernard Arnault overtakes Elon Musk, emerges world’s richest
- Fuel Scarcity: Give us petrol at official ex-depot price, lPMAN tasks NNPC
- We have no hands in appointment of VCs– NUC
- World Cup quarter-finals: Morocco vs. Portugal on Saturday
- Adamawa establishes 5 sexual referral centres – Official
- Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy named Time’s 2022 Person of the Year