The Commission made the presentation when Mrs Emelda Nwajiofor-Okoli, Federal Commissioner representing Anambra led her team to one of the Internally Displaced Persons’ camps at Atani, Ogbaru LGA on Sunday.
The relief items donated were cartons of noodles, tubers of yam, cartons of bread and cartons of biscuits.
Nwajiofor-Okoli said the visit to interact with the affected persons and reach out to them was part of the Commission’s social responsibility aimed at ameliorating their sufferings.
The Commissioner said she was moved by the reports of the flood and its impact on the lives of the people in the affected areas, describing their conditions as pitiable.
“The Commission deemed it imperative to visit and sympathise with you and also extend the Commission’s hands of fellowship, relationship and magnanimity to you because, “injury to one is an injury to all”.
“I assure you that the Commission will take your plight to the relevant agencies at the federal and state government level. So they can come to your aid.
“I want to appeal to governments, firms and individuals on behalf of displaced people in the riverine communities affected by flood that they need help, their houses, farmlands and properties are all submerged,” she said.
Ekwunife said the Commission shared in the grief of the victims of the flood and pleaded for more robust and speedy response to the emergency with the aim of preventing further loss of lives and property.
Mr Victor Ikeogu, the Chairman, Flood Committee, Atani, who received the relief items on behalf of the entire victims thanked the PCC in Anambra for their show of solidarity and magnanimity.
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC