There was pandemonium when an ambulance conveying the corpse of the mother of a priest of the Okigwe Catholic Diocese, Rev. Fr. Alex Onyemata, to the morgue burst into flames following a leaking fuel tank.
However, corpse eventually escaped being burnt, ROYAL NEWS has gathered.
The incident, which happened few poles to the Mercy Mortuary, Umulogho Obowo, Imo State, saw the ambulance, a Toyota Sienna, completely burnt.
According to eyewitnesses, the ambulance left the woman’s compound from Dikenta Avutu Obowo with the corpse, around 2 pm and was gutted by fire while in motion along Owerri-Umuahia Expressway last Saturday, January 11.
However, the woman’s corpse was rescued by the deceased family members, who had accompanied it to the mortuary before the fire totally engulfed the vehicle.
One of the witnesses, who simply identified himself as Antiquity Prince, told The Nation, “The ambulance was on motion when the fire started dropping from the fuel tank. On noticing it, the driver immediately stopped and a crowd of people came out to assist him stop the fire with fire extinguishers, buckets of water mixed with detergent, buckets of sand and green leaves, all to no avail”
It was further gathered that as they made efforts to quench the fire, the fuel was still dropping more from the fuel thank with fire at the same time, indicating that the fire was already burning inside the fuel tank.
“As the dropping flames became m
ore regular, the bereaved family forced open the ambulance boot and brought down the corpse in a stretcher before the vehicle exploded into real flames and burnt to ashes”, Prince said.
The bereaved, it was gathered, were forced to carry the corpse in the stretcher and walked to the mortuary to deposit the corpse.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation