The former governor of Niger State Mu’azu Aliyu and two others have been discharged and acquitted of an alleged N1.940b money laundering case by a state high court sitting in Niger state on Tuesday.
The court ruled that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) did not show diligence in prosecuting the case brought against Aliyu.
The court said the prosecution counsel was not present and did not send any representative during the hearing of the case which led to three adjournments.
Counsel to the defendant urged the court to discharge and acquit the defendant due to the failure of the prosecution to pursue the case properly.
In his response, the counsel to the defendant insisted that the prosecution should equally declare it had similarly withdrawn its case.
The prosecution told the court that he is withdrawing the case before the judge, Justice Mikailu Abdullahi, discharged and acquitted the defendants for lack of diligent prosecution by the EFCC.
- PHOTO NEWS: How Late Galadiman Patigi, Dr. Alfa Saadu was buried in London
- Coronavirus Update: Nigeria’s cases increase to 184
- Lagos discharges 11 additional coronavirus patients
- COVID-19: TUYIL hails Kwara govt, donates N10million
- BREAKING….. KWARA BEGINS FUMIGATION OF MARKETS TONIGHT 7-11pm
- COVID-19: Germany Chancellor donates €5.5m to Nigerians
- Ogun governor assures of equality in palliatives distribution
- Saudi Arabia govt imposes 24hrs in Makkah, Madina city
- Coronavirus infection kills Philippines envoy
- Read what new KWASU VC says about his appointment
News3 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
Education5 months ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
News10 months ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
Politics4 months ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)
Politics5 months ago
EXPOSED…. Why Kwara Governor wants more women in his cabinet— Ajadi
Politics3 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen