An Omu-Aran Area Court in Kwara on Wednesday dissolved a 15-year-old marriage between a 45-year-old carpenter, Akeem Abiodun and his wife, Omolara, for maltreatment and battery.
In his judgment, presiding judge, Mr Adebola Banigbe, chided Akeem for his unruly behaviours toward his wife, saying that his low financial status should not be an excuse for such actions.
Banigbe said that since the two parties had collectively agreed on the dissolution of the marriage, the court had no option than to do same.
“The marriage between Akeem Abiodun and Omolara Abiodun, therefore, ceases to exist and the custody of the children awarded to the petitioner,” Banigbe held.
The petitioner, Omolara had on Feb. 27, begged the court to dissolve her 15-year-old marriage to Akeem, and award her the custody of their five children, aged between one and 14 years.
Omolara had told the court that she had been subjected to untold hardship and deprived of the benefits of a good union since inception of the marriage through constant beating by Akeem.
“I cannot bare it any longer, after all my sufferings to cater for the education, maintenance and upkeep of our five children, all I normally got in return is constant beating and maltreatment by my husband.
“Please I am no longer interested in the union. I want the court to dissolve us and give me the custody of the children,” Omolara said.
The respondent, Akeem had acknowledged subjecting Omolara to unwarranted brutality, blaming his economic misfortunes as being responsible for his misbehaviours.
“ I presently don’t have the economic capacity to take proper care of the children, which has been the source of my occasional quarrelling with my wife.
“I have searched for contract without success while the ones we had executed did not yield any monetary value; so, you don’t expect me to go and steal.
“I am also supporting her plea for the dissolution of the marriage and the award of the custody of the children to her,” Akeem said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment