The Federal High Court, Abuja, on Wednesday ordered the Inspector- General of Police to produce the Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Mahmood Yakubu, in court on August 14 2018.
ROYAL NEWS gathered that Justice Stephen Pam gave the order after Mr Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), counsel to Yakubu told the court that he did not know where his client was.
It will be recalled that the court had on Aug. 1, issued a bench warrant for the arrest of Yakubu for “flagrant disobedience of court orders.’’
According to Pam, “the bench warrant issued for the arrest of Yakubu has not been vacated and still subsists. The I-G is hereby ordered to enforce it by bringing him to court on the next adjourned date.
He however adjourned the matter until Aug.14 for continuation of committal proceedings.
Earlier, Awomolo told the court that he had written a letter to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Adamu Abdu-Kafarati, asking that the matter be transferred to another judge.
Awomolo further told the court that he had filed three appeals in respect to three different rulings delivered by Justice Pam on the matter.
He asked the court for an adjournment to allow the chief judge reassign the matter to another judge.
Mr Gordy Uche (SAN), counsel to Mr Ejike Oguebego, the plaintiff in the matter, however, opposed the application for an adjournment on the grounds that there was no basis for adjournment.
Uche told the court that although Awomolo had written to seek the disqualification of the judge, the letter was not copied to him or the judge as he was only just informing the court.
He submitted that the judge could not act on the letter since there had been no directive from the chief judge for him to act on the letter.
- Ilorin experiences first rainfall in 2023
- Leeds records 3-1 victory against Accrington Stanley firstly in 7yrs
- Naira notes hardship: Don’t come to Kano yet, Ganduje tells Buhari
- CBN’s Jan. 31 deadline on naira notes unrealistic— Atiku
- CBN deadline: Buhari speaks on reasons for currencies changes
- INEC extends PVCs collection to Feb. 5
- INEC extends PVCs collection deadline
- Buhari rejoices with 90yr-old female Professor, Bolanle Awe
- Ukraine President Zelensky appoints Oby Ezekwesili as ambassador
- Breaking: Buhari wades into Naira new notes scarcity