A Kaduna Chief Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday ordered that a 27-year-old mechanic, Adamu Isah, be remanded in a correctional facility over alleged culpable homicide.
The police charged Isah, who resides at Kawo in Kaduna State, with culpable homicide.
The Magistrate Ibrahim Emmanuel, who did not take the plea of the accused, ordered the police to return the case file to the State Director of Public Prosecution for legal advice.
Emmanuel said the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the matter, adding that only the High Court has the jurisdiction to grant bail on capital offence.
He adjourned the matter until Dec. 21, for legal advice.
Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp. Chidi Leo, told the court that the case was transferred from the Divisional, Police Headquarters Kawo, in Kaduna, to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID), through a letter dated Sept. 12.
Leo said that one Shehu Garba, of Ungwan Rimi, a brother to the deceased reported the matter at the police station.
The prosecutor informed the court that the defendant inflicted injury with a machete on one Musa Garba’s head during a fight.
Leo added that the victim was taken to the Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital where he later died.
He said that the offence contravened Section 221 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Law, 2017.
- Why I’m supporting Tinubu, AbdulRazaq— Latinwo
- INEC has no business with MC Olumo, but park managers– REC
- Protesters shut Benin’s CBN branch over Naira scarcity
- Opposition behind naira frustration– Lai Mohammed
- Breaking…. IPMAN orders fuel stations to shutdown operations
- Turkey-Syria Earthquake: Death toll crosses 5,000
- Atiku pays courtesy visit to Bauchi traditional rulers
- FG tasks Hajj Institute on best services to pilgrims
- Man United massively transformed under Ten Hag – De Gea
- Naira redesign: Don’t make Nigerians scapegoats, says Atiku