An Upper Area Court sitting in Pankshin has remanded a
Medical Doctor in Prison for allegedly raping his patient in her
The accused, Dr Philemon Brazil, who was arraigned before Sole Judge Joseph Chollom, allegedly committed the offence in April 25, 2017 in Pankshin Town.
When the case was mentioned before the l Judge, police Prosecutor, Sgt. Singbon Hosea told the court that the victim, one Mrs Mary was a patient of the accused doctor.
He said the victim has been experiencing series of miscarriages which made her to register with the accused for treatment.
“But my Lord, on that faithful day, April 25, when the accused visited the patient as usual, he went too far by forcing himself on her and ended up raping her.
“By that action, the accused has committed offences of rape and act of gross indecency, ’’ Hosea stated.
Hosea told the court that the offence was contrary to and punishable under section 283 and 285 of the Penal Code.
The prosecution further told the court that HIV test was carried out on the accused, but the result was negative.
According to him, the test was necessary because the victim has been very disturbed and worried of her status as a result of the rape.
He informed the court that as a result of the rape, the victim
suffered another miscarriage.
Hosea therefore pleaded with the court to remand the accused in prison
pending the completion of investigations on the matter.
He also said the victim must be observed and tested for HIV to
ascertain her safety.
The sole judge then adjourned the case to May 22, 2017 for further mention.
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92
- CBN’s cash withdrawal policy’ll enhance financial inclusion – Expert
- DSS, oil marketers set to clear petrol queues in 48 hours
- FG gives update on Ajaokuta Steel resuscitation, legal tussle
- Ex-CAN President, Ayo Oritsejafor’s marriage crashes
- BREAKING…CBN begins distribution of redesigned naira notes to banks