The Kogi State Governor, Yahaya Bello, says criminals are now abusing face masks meant to curtail the spread of COVID-19 to conceal their identities and rob people across the country.
The governor said this at the formal reception of delegates of the Nigerian Media Merit Awards in Lokoja, the state capital on Friday, October 29. He claimed that COVID-19 was blown out of proportion in Nigeria, saying Nigerians have been living with diseases more lethal than the virus.
“In fact, criminals were even using the face mask to disguise. They close their faces and lodge in hotels. They go to places, so you can’t identify them. I was made to understand that coronavirus was less than one per cent lethal; even ordinary fever is more lethal than coronavirus.”
Speaking further, the governor who has always dismissed the severity of Coronavirus, said;
“We continued until when we were almost compelled to lock down and that was the turning point. When you see an enemy coming, I have not seen who the enemy is or who they are, how armed they are, and then I would tell my people to go into hiding, die of hunger, die of deprivation and what have you.
When I see the enemy and I see the weapon they are holding and I don’t have a superior weapon to counter them then I will know the decision to take for my people. I will not lock my people down because of coronavirus because we have had incidences of the outbreak of more dangerous diseases in Kogi State.
We have Lassa fever, we have yellow fever, we have communities where certain substances were consumed and we have had cause to control all that in Kogi State without blowing it out of proportion. So, why should I lock my people down?”
Locking our people down would bring a lot of harm; it could be economic, there would be security implication; in fact, it could even lead to corruption.”
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt
- Gov Ademola frowns at delay in Nov salary, issues ultimatum
- Buhari says Govs are stealing local govt funds
- Kanye West gives Kim Kardashian huge divorce parting gift
- 2023: INEC takes delivery of last batch of PVCs in Edo
- Ex-VC, Prof. Magaji Garba sentenced to 35 years in prison
- Mavin Records’ “Overloading (Overdose)”, most trending 2022 YouTube music video
- Four feared dead in accident involving Gov. Fintiri’s convoy