The Kwara State Government has expressed concern over the transfer of four suspected cultists, arrested in the state, by the state police command to Abuja, ROYAL NEWS reports.
The Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Kwara State Ministry of Justice, Jimoh Mumini, made this known after an emergency Security Council meeting chaired by Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed on Wednesday at the Government house in Ilorin.
Jimoh noted that the offence for which the suspects were arrested are state offences which are triable under the state laws.
See pictures of some protesters against the alleged transfer of suspected cultists to Abuja on the order of the Inspector General of Police.
He said that though the representative of the Commissioner of Police, Kwara State Command, Aminu Pai Saleh at the meeting said that the four suspects were transferred to Abuja for further investigation, the state Ministry of Justice has successfully prosecuted suspected cultists and killers at the State High Court under the penal code.
The DPP therefore urged the police to speed up their investigation and return the suspects to Kwara State so as to commence trial as done by the Ministry of Justice in respect to similar offences and offenders in the past.
Also, the Deputy Chief of Staff, Government House, Mr Daniel Ogungbe noted that the concern of the state government was based on the urgency with which the suspects were transferred to Abuja.
He noted that the suspects should have been tried in the State rather than being transferred to the federal capital and expressed hope that the investigation and trial will not be hijacked for political purposes.
Earlier, the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Media and Communication, Dr Muyideen Akorede noted that the council received briefing on cult related violence in the State and the outcome of the recent Ward and Local Government Congress of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in the state.
He said the council commended the Nigerian Police on its swift arrest and prosecution of suspects in the tragic robbery attack on Offa.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal