Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested one Azeez Yakubu Afolayan for impersonating the Comptroller General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (rtd).
A statement on Tuesday by the acting EFCC spokesman, Tony Orilade said Afolayan was arrested by EFCC operatives of its Ilorin Zonal Office Kwara state on February 20th, 2019, following complaints from one of his victims.
He explained that trouble started for him when a staff of the Customs Service, Hassan Garba Muhammed petitioned the EFCC, accusing him of defrauding innocent Nigerians, seeking employment into the Service. He had so far defrauded them of about N1 million.
He said, “Under interrogation, he admitted to the crime,” Orilade quoted him as saying, “I started duping people since 2017 up till date, I duped about five people, I collected different amount of money from my victims and all of them used to transfer money to my bank accounts.”
“I used to tell them that I will help them to secure employment with the Nigerian Custom Services, but I was just scamming,” Orilade quoted.
He said some of the items recovered from him include, Nigerian Customs Service Application Forms, Customs employment letters, passports of some job seekers among others, adding that he will soon be charged to court.
- TUC calls on FG to solve naira, fuel crises
- Petrol scarcity to end in one week– NNPC
- Lagos PDP mourns as deputy governorship candidate loses mum
- Plateau Govt hands over 32 missionary schools to original owners
- AMAZING…. Ohanaeze Ndigbo finally reveals candidates to support during elections
- Why I’m supporting Tinubu, AbdulRazaq— Latinwo
- INEC has no business with MC Olumo, but park managers– REC
- Protesters shut Benin’s CBN branch over Naira scarcity
- Opposition behind naira frustration– Lai Mohammed
- Breaking…. IPMAN orders fuel stations to shutdown operations