The Nigeria Customs Service, Federal Operations Unit, Zone ‘C’, Owerri in Imo State says it has seized contraband items worth N91m in the state.
The Customs Area Controller, Mr Kayode Olusemire, while addressing journalists on Friday, stated that the seized consignments included 936 bags of 50kg rice.
He said the seized bags of foreign rice were repackaged in local rice bags to beat security.
Others are 128 bales of used fabric, a Toyota Hummer bus, a lorry and a van, among others used in conveying the smuggled items.
According to Olusemire, the items were intercepted en route to Imo from Akwa Ibom and Anambra states, while operational activities were carried out simultaneously in other states of the federation.
He, however, expressed the regret that one of the vehicles, which belongs to a popular transportation company, was used to smuggle the goods.
The Customs controller said, “It is regrettable that, while we are waging war against smuggling, these smugglers are devising other means to perpetrate their evil deeds without recourse to the health and safety of Nigerians.”
“We have established communication with the transport company whose bus was used to carry out this heinous act and we assure (the public) that the driver as well as all other smugglers will soon be brought to book.”
He further advised consumers to beware of foreign and substandard consumables which are often disguised as locally made and standard, adding that such items pose serious health and safety hazards.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption