Sri Lanka’s Meteorology Department says a cyclonic storm, Burevi, is likely to hit Sri Lanka’s eastern coast on Wednesday causing heavy rains and strong winds in the island country.
In an urgent weather update, the Meteorology Department said the cyclone was expected to hit the eastern coast from 7.00 pm to 10.00 pm local time, and floods and extensive damage were expected.
State Minister of Disaster Management, Chamal Rajapaksa informed Parliament that communities living in the areas where the cyclone was expected to hit had been informed to take precautions.
Rajapaksa said instructions had been given for people to refrain from fishing and naval activities in deep seas off the eastern coast until further notice.
Schools across the eastern province were closed and would remain shut till Friday, due to the inclement weather.
Rajapaksa further said an allocation of Rs. 1 million had been made to the district secretaries where the cyclone was expected to make the worst impact, to provide essential services including food and shelter to those affected.
Disaster Management teams had informed those living in low lying areas to evacuate to safer areas as floods were expected due to the heavy rains.
The Meteorology Department issued a red alert for seven provinces, including the area of the capital Colombo, ahead of Cyclone Burevi’s impact in the country.
A severe weather warning was issued for these provinces for Wednesday and Thursday during which Burevi is likely to pass and head towards India’s Tamil Nadu.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note