The Speaker of Ebonyi State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Francis Ogbonnaya Nwifiru, has said that the 17 lawmakers who were sacked by the Federal High Court, Abuja, for defecting from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress, (APC) have appealed their sack.
The Speaker disclosed this in Abakaliki while briefing journalists with other members of the assembly who are members of the All Progressives Congress APC.
Nwifiru, who revealed that the sacked members have already filed for stay of execution, urged members of their constituents to remain calm and law abiding.
He expressed dissatisfaction over the Federal High Court judgement even as he pointed out that they will obey the judgment as law-abiding citizens.
“It is about two days ago we started hearing the rumour that a federal high court in Abuja declared our seats vacant on the ground that we defected from PDP to APC.
“I know the position of the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. But I am not in the position to know how the judiciary interprets the law . I am not against that.
“We have filed an appeal and a stay of execution. Since the matter is in the court of law there is no need talking anything about it. Our position is that the law will take it’s position. We are begging our constituents to remain law abiding”, he appealed.
- Emir of Bauchi’s brother found dead
- PHOTO NEWS: FG empowers women in Kebbi
- Gov. Adeleke reacts to tribunal’s judgement, vows to appeal
- BREAKING….Ademola Adeleke sacked as Osun Governor
- Kebbi assembly deputy speaker, 5 other resign appointments
- Adamawa guber candidate dies
- Lawyer sues CBN, seeks extension of deadline for old naira notes
- CBN unveils domestic card to strengthen payments system
- SHOCKING… Governor loses son
- Banks in Ogun applauded over circulation of new naira notes