The Minister of Defence, Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd), has urged Nigerians to support the families of slained soldiers who paid the supreme price for the survival of the nation.
The Minister made the appeal against the backdrop of the successful grandfinale of the 2022 Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day parade and wreaths laying ceremony held at the National Arcade Abuja.
He said all Nigerians are critical stakeholders in maintaining a well mobilised professionally responsible and responsive Military that is capable of safeguarding the natiion’s territorial integrity and sovereignty.
While commending President Muhammadu Buhari for providing the right leadership in securing the country against external and internal aggressions, he said a buy-in by all Nigerians by aiding and speaking good about their military will be a force Multiplier for the Fighting Forces to win the battles and not losing the war.
The Defence Minister who had his third shot at laying the wreath at the feet of the unknown soldier since his assumption of duty in August 2019 appealed to Nigerians to complement government’s efforts at making the families of the slained heroes comfortable to cushion the agonising experiences of the death of their bread winners.
He assured the surviving heroes of wars that President Muhammadu Buhari is deploying strong political will and unwavering support towards rewarding their sacrifices for the survival of the nation.
The Minister commended the Chief of Defence Staff General Leo Irabor and Service Chiefs for sustaining the Military Culture of “No Surrender No Retreat” until total victory is achieved in national defence at this critical times of fighting insecurity.
Magashi therefore urged the troops to remain highly professional and to go after the criminal elements to achieve the end state of attaining the much desired national peace and security adding that their sacrifices will never be in vain.
- Election: Close down institutions, allow students vote– Reps to FG
- ICPC re-arrests former JAMB registrar Dibu Ojerinde
- Kwara Assembly approves extension of Acting Auditor-General’s tenure
- Ex-JAMB registrar opened fictitious accounts to conceal his identity– Witness
- No attempt to create conflict between Tinubu, Buhari will succeed – APC
- Lubcon bags West Africa’s best lubricant of year
- NYSC gets 8 new directors, promotes 1,123 others
- Senate confirms ex-I-G Arase as Chairman, Police Service Commission
- Bank customers decry scarcity of new Naira notes at ATMs, POS
- Senate suspends plenary till Feb. 28