In its effort to guard against deforestation, the Kwara State Government has expressed to put in place a law that will checkmate the activities of charcoal dealers in the state.
The state governor, Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed who dropped the hint in Ilorin yesterday when he flagged off tree planting to mark this year’s International Forestry and Tree Planting Day, said the law becomes imperative in order to discourage indiscriminate trees felling by Charcoal dealers.
The Governor who expressed displeasure over activities of charcoal dealers emphasised that charcoal business is a legitimate business that should be properly regulated.
Dr Ahmed explained that the state government would do everything necessary to support charcoal dealers in doing their business legitimately without being detrimental to the environment.
“Government will encourage afforestation through mass tree planting by schools and government agencies while also strengthening the forestry department of the State Ministry of Environment”, the governor said.
In his remarks, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Alhaji Isiaka Amasa Al-Amin said the tree planting activities is part of the United nations programme to ensure sustainability of life through tree planting.
He disclosed that the Ministry will be distributing seedlings to schools as part of the state’s clean and green programme to mark the International Forestry and Tree Planting Day.
Amasa advised residents in the state to set aside one third of their land portion for the green area to curb the excessive heat ravaging the country.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation