Former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mr. Bala Mohammed, has filed a fundamental human right suit before the High Court of the FCT against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over his continued detention by the anti-graft agency.
Justice Baba Yusuf, whom the case was assigned to has already fixed November 24 for hearing.
In his 15-paragraph affidavit filed in support of his suit, the applicant stated that he was invited by the EFCC to report to its office on October 24, 2016 in connection with investigation into alleged “cases of conspiracy, abuse of office and money laundering.”
The affidavit deposed to by Umar Usman stated that the Mohammed voluntarily reported to the EFCC on October 24, 2016 and was immediately arrested and detained till date.
He stated that rather being released on bail, he was dumped and abandoned in the respondent’s cell since then, “wherein he has suffered substantial deterioration of his health and untold psychological trauma and mental torture.”
In the suit marked FCT/CV/220/2016 filed by his counsel, Chief Chris Uche (SAN), the applicant is praying the court for an order compelling and directing the EFCC to release him on bail forthwith or immediately arraign him before a competent court of law for trial.
He further sought a declaration that his arrest and detention his arrest and detention “since October 24, 2016 till date by the EFCC is illegal, unlawful, unreasonable, unjustified and unconstitutional.”
A declaration by the court that he is entitled to be released on bail by the EFCC (Respondent) pending the investigation of allegations against him pending any arraignment before a court of law.
The former minister further asked an order of court enforcing and restoring his fundamental right to personal liberty enshrined and guaranteed by section 35 of the 1999 constitution, which has been violated and is being violated by the respondent.
He asked for N100m as special and general damages against the EFCC for the illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional arrest and detention.
- No room for deadline extension, JAMB Registrar, Oloyede warns prospective applicants
- VIDEOS+PHOTOS: When Buhari visited Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero
- Abiola Bawuah becomes UBA CEO in Africa
- INEC investigates viral video of extortion during PVCs collection in Enugu
- Buhari inaugurates 10mw solar plant in Kano State
- Court remands woman for pouring hot water on her co-wife in Kwara
- UNA-USA Ambassador, Lady Tee Thompson applauds KAM Holding for promoting SDGs
- Why I am not allocating land in FCT – Minister
- Nigeria records 244 confirmed cases of Lassa fever, 37 deaths in 16 states and FCT
- 2023: Kwara Hausa/Fulani community adopts NNPP guber candidate