The Director-General, Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), Malam Yusuf Ibn Mohammed, has cautioned the media against promoting hate speech capable of destabilizing the peace and unity of the country.
Mohammed said this on Tuesday while delivering his address of welcome at a one-day Presidential High Table Dialogue on Integrity and Service at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
He said that the NTA has been repositioned to promote unity and national integration among diverse ethnic groups in Nigeria.
“ At this critical moment of serious national security and socio-economic challenges all hands must be on deck to save our country from going into anarchy and disintegration.
“ We must condemn hate speech in our print and electronic media, particularly at this critical moment of our national security” he said.
In his address, the chairman of the occasion and Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onoghen, reminded the participants on the importance of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJAct2010).
Onoghen, who was represented by the Chairman of the Code of Conduct Tribunal Justice Danladi Umar, said section 306 of the act empowers courts in Nigeria not to grant stay of proceedings, especially on cases of corruption and other financial crimes.
He further explained that the section encourages speedy dispensation of criminal trials.
Also speaking at the event, the former Head of Service of the Federation (HoS), Mrs Ama Pepple, challenged Nigerian workers on strict adherence to values, integrity and respect for their work by avoiding lastness to work.
Pepple expressed dismay over what she called the eroding values and credibility in the service.
“ Sometime, if we called people to account for their stewardship they will accuse us of witchunting them, our National values are dying down.
“ Political leaders must realise that there is a need for them to behave like statesmen,” she said.
The former HoS charged all stakeholders to embrace peace and avoid things capable of dividing the country.
“ We are all Nigerians and we should, therefore, emphasize things that unite us not issues that could bring disunity among us because if Nigeria stands we stand good, forbid if it fails, we all fail” she warned.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Buhari’s Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen, withdraws from Senatorial race
- Stirke: UNILORIN VC sends strong message to FG, ASUU
- Ekiti guber race: I’m committed to APC’s victory at poll—Bamidele
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES