The police on Wednesday arraigned Senator Dino Melaye before a Magistrate’s Court in Wuse Zone 2, Abuja amid heavy presence of police officers.
He was arraigned on charges bordering on his alleged escape from a police vehicle in Abuja on April 24, 2018.
The presiding magistrate, Mabel Segun-Bello, granted him bail in the sum of N90m.
Melaye’s lawyer, Mr. Nkem Okoro, told our correspondent that his client met the bail conditions granted by the court but the senator was re-arrested by the police on the court premises.
“He met his bail conditions but the police decided to re-arrest him on the excuse that they were taking him to Lokoja tomorrow morning,” Okoro said.
Melaye laid on a stretcher was produced in court in a police ambulance with registration number NPF2214D on Wednesday.
Over 200 policemen were deployed to the court on Wednesday.
They left the court premises in a convoy which comprised the ambulance conveying Melaye at about 4.20pm.
Our correspondent counted 14 pick-up vans with an average of 10 policemen occupying each and seven 18-seater buses also filled with policemen in the convoy.
In the First Information Report filed by the police against him, he was accused of intentionally breaking the side windscreen of the bus conveying him and jumped out from it.
Facebook Comments Box
- Gunmen kill DPO in Benue
- World Hijab Day: FOMWAN hails female Muslims for upholding Allah’s command
- JAMB apprehends 6 CBT operators in Kano State
- Kwara govt gives transformers to 11 communities
- Abia ADC suspends guber candidate, 3 others
- Atiku speaks on forming alliance with Kwankwaso, Peter Obi
- Naira redesign: Emefiele urges NASS, Nigerians to show understanding
- Fuel scarcity may affect election logistics — INEC
- SAD…. PDP campaign rally turns mourning in Sokoto as Tambuwal’s aide, Aisha Maina dies
- Nigeria attains 100% broadband penetration— Buhari