Operators of Bureau De Change (BDC) in the FCT have announced a shutdown of operations in as a result of the unavailability of dollars to carryout their business operations.
Chairman of the Association, Mallam Abdullahi Dauran, announced this on Wednesday, attributing the development to online business transactions and cryptocurrency.
He said the closure of business would take effect from Thursday, February 1, 2024.
The development comes hours after a senate panel summoned Olayemi Cardoso, governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), over the forex crisis.
The summon was through its Committee on Banking, Insurance, and other Financial Institutions headed by Senator Adetokunbo Abiru (APC, Lagos).
Senator Abiru disclosed this while speaking with newsmen after his panel met behind closed doors on Wednesday.
He said the committee, during the meeting, took the decision to summon the apex bank governor to brief the lawmakers next Tuesday on what is being done to address the economic and Naira value crisis.
Senator Abiru said the state of the economy, especially the inflation index was of great concern to the lawmakers.
He said:“We have deliberated among ourselves. Critical issues were addressed and we believe that the next line of action is to summon the governor of the Central Bank on Tuesday at 3 O’clock to brief us properly on the state of the economy.
“That we have resolved and will communicate to the governor of the Central Bank after which we will have further communication with members of the press.”
Naira continued its free fall on Tuesday, sinking to a record low of N1,482.57 per dollar following demand on the official market.
- Civil Defense Receives Bags Of Rice As Palliative In Kwara
- Customs CG begins sales of seized food items in Lagos
- Why FG Created Ministry of Marine & Blue Economy– Perm Sec.
- Death of Dep. DOP Nathaniel shocking, sad—Kwara Gov
- Correpondents’ Chapel Commiserates with Kwara Governor, NUJ Over Demise Of Dep. DOP
- NPF Forge Ties With NITDA On Digital Literacy
- NAMA Strengthens Partnership with Nigerian Air Force For Airspace Safety
- KWSG Donates Mattresses to NYSC Camp
- DISCLAIMER: MISSING PERSON NOT KWASU STUDENT
- Senators reject service extension for NASS clerk, others