Former US President, Donald Trump on Monday February 7, released a statement blaming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol that is alleged to have been carried out by his own supporters.
Even though Trump was commander-in-chief on January 6 and had urged his supporters to “fight like hell” to keep him in power prior to the Capitol attack, he claimed Pelosi could have or should have done more to block the attempted insurrection.
Trump claimed, without offering any evidence, that Pelosi refused offers to beef up security before the attack by the armed mob that he egged on at a rally minutes earlier.
“There would have been no January 6, as we know it, if Nancy Pelosi heeded my recommendation to bring 10,000 Soldiers, or the National Guard, into the Capitol,” the former president said. “End the Unselect Committee January 6th Witch Hunt right now. Pelosi and the Dems are responsible!”
However reacting to the claim, Pelosi’s spokesman Drew Hammill said “This has been fact-checked literally to death as completely made up.”
This is coming after it was reported that Trump resisted pleas from his inner circle to help stop the riot once it started. He had also been accused of reportedly enjoying the footage and did not want to tweet a message urging his supporters to stop and remain peaceful. It was also alleged that he was less concerned about the attack than he was about getting the election results overturned in a call with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.).
Hours after the Capitol attack, Trump wrapped up his day with a tweet that repeated his claim about the election being stolen and sympathized with the “great patriots.”
“These are the things and events that happen when a sacred landslide election victory is so unceremoniously & viciously stripped away from great patriots who have been badly & unfairly treated for so long. Go home with love & in peace. Remember this day forever!”
It has also been confirmed that Pelosi is not in charge of the Capitol Police and does not control security for the building. Any responsibility she has for the Capitol is shared with the Senate majority leader at the time, Republican Mitch McConnell.
Pelosi also has no authority to call up the National Guard.
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92