Ayodeji Adepoju said to be the Divisional Police Officer at Igbon Police Station in the Surulere Local Government Area of Oyo State, has been accused of shooting and injuring an operative of the Oyo State Security Network Agency known as Amotekun on Friday February 12.
The incident occurred after an aggrieved farmer filed a complaint with Amotekun operatives over the destruction of crops by cows brought to his farm in Gambari by Fulani herdsmen.
However after some herdsmen reported the arrest to the DPO, he ordered the arrest of two operatives of the Amotekun Corps identified as Jenyo and Olatunji Mayowa for arresting the herdsmen, while insisting that Amotekun was not set up to arrest herdsmen but to go after armed robbers.
After the Unit Commander of Amotekun in the area, Araoye Amoo came to the police station with his men to secure the release of the two officials, the DPO reportedly stormed out of his office, collected a gun from a policeman and shot one of the Amotekun men in the leg.
The DPO repeatedly claimed that he overheard the Amotekun corps say they were coming to the station to kill him.
Punch reported that the unit commander said one of the Amotekun corps who escaped from the scene was pursued and disarmed. He further revealed that the police checked and discovered that the gun which was forcefully collected from the Amotekun operatives, was not even loaded.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport