A 37-year-old driver, Femi Tonade has been sentenced to 12 years’ imprisonment by Lagos State High Court in Ikeja for defiling a 14-year-old housekeeper.
According to the prosecution team, led by Mrs. A.B. Awosika, Tonade committed the offence on December 1, 2015, at Iju-Ishaga, Lagos.
Awosika said the convict and his employer were outside, while the complainant was in the building.
“The convict crept upstairs without his employer’s knowledge, physically restrained the housekeeper and had forceful carnal knowledge of her,” she said.
“the complainant confided in her employer about the defilement the following day, and it was reported to the authorities.”
The prosecutor added that, medical examinations confirmed that the housekeeper was defiled.
According to her, the offence violated Section 137 of the Criminal Code of Lagos State. Read also: How i escaped death during civil war—Lalong
Counsel for the convict, Mrs. Olabimpe Bamboye, pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy.
“My Lord, please temper justice with mercy. The defendant is a driver; he has a family and an aged father whom he takes care of. Ever since he has been in custody, the defendant has not been able to take care of his family.”
Justice Kudirat Jose granted the request of the defendant by reducing the jail term from life imprisonment to 12 years.
While pronouncing her judgement, she said, “It is easy to plead for people, but it is easier for people to offend. You just don’t see a child and decide to have forceful carnal knowledge of her.
“Section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos recommends a term of life in prison for the offence of defilement. Read also: I got N7,000 for participating in killing Guilder Ultimate Search winner – Suspect
“However, after listening to your allocutus, the court is going to be lenient with the defendant and sentence him to 12 years in prison. The sentence will commence from the first day he was incarcerated.”
She held that the evidence of the minor against the defendant was believable and that the prosecution proved its case beyond doubt.
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn