A 37-year-old driver, Femi Tonade has been sentenced to 12 years’ imprisonment by Lagos State High Court in Ikeja for defiling a 14-year-old housekeeper.
According to the prosecution team, led by Mrs. A.B. Awosika, Tonade committed the offence on December 1, 2015, at Iju-Ishaga, Lagos.
Awosika said the convict and his employer were outside, while the complainant was in the building.
“The convict crept upstairs without his employer’s knowledge, physically restrained the housekeeper and had forceful carnal knowledge of her,” she said.
“the complainant confided in her employer about the defilement the following day, and it was reported to the authorities.”
The prosecutor added that, medical examinations confirmed that the housekeeper was defiled.
According to her, the offence violated Section 137 of the Criminal Code of Lagos State. Read also: How i escaped death during civil war—Lalong
Counsel for the convict, Mrs. Olabimpe Bamboye, pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy.
“My Lord, please temper justice with mercy. The defendant is a driver; he has a family and an aged father whom he takes care of. Ever since he has been in custody, the defendant has not been able to take care of his family.”
Justice Kudirat Jose granted the request of the defendant by reducing the jail term from life imprisonment to 12 years.
While pronouncing her judgement, she said, “It is easy to plead for people, but it is easier for people to offend. You just don’t see a child and decide to have forceful carnal knowledge of her.
“Section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos recommends a term of life in prison for the offence of defilement. Read also: I got N7,000 for participating in killing Guilder Ultimate Search winner – Suspect
“However, after listening to your allocutus, the court is going to be lenient with the defendant and sentence him to 12 years in prison. The sentence will commence from the first day he was incarcerated.”
She held that the evidence of the minor against the defendant was believable and that the prosecution proved its case beyond doubt.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory