The State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Mr Chris Nehikhare disclosed this while briefing journalists after the weekly Executive Council (EXCO) meeting chaired by the governor on Wednesday in Government House in Benin.
“The Edo State Government has suspended three Heads of Service of local government areas namely Owan West, Owan East and Igueben.
“They have refused to keep to the directive of the government instructing them not to allow heavy duty vehicles to pass through their areas, despite the damage done to our roads.
”The commissioner said the government’s ban of heavy duty vehicles of over 30 tonnes from plying state roads was still in force.
“The local government heads were suspended for failing on their duties of protecting the government’s infrastructural assets.
Nehikhare said, “To protect our roads, we have placed a ban on articulated vehicles weighing up to 30 tonnes from plying state roads, as the roads are not designed to carry vehicles weighing over 30 tonnes.
“These heavy duty vehicles are being used to destroy and damage our roads, especially those carrying cement, petrol, and diesel.
“Our roads are not designed for such purposes.
These heavy duty vehicles should use the Federal Government roads designed for such purposes.
“Our roads are destroyed by travelers who don’t contribute to the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the State but pass through these roads and damage our infrastructure.
The federal roads are there and they should continue to use them.
“We call on all appointees in these areas to stop these vehicles destroying our roads,” he said.
- Civil Defense Receives Bags Of Rice As Palliative In Kwara
- Customs CG begins sales of seized food items in Lagos
- Why FG Created Ministry of Marine & Blue Economy– Perm Sec.
- Death of Dep. DOP Nathaniel shocking, sad—Kwara Gov
- Correpondents’ Chapel Commiserates with Kwara Governor, NUJ Over Demise Of Dep. DOP
- NPF Forge Ties With NITDA On Digital Literacy
- NAMA Strengthens Partnership with Nigerian Air Force For Airspace Safety
- KWSG Donates Mattresses to NYSC Camp
- DISCLAIMER: MISSING PERSON NOT KWASU STUDENT
- Senators reject service extension for NASS clerk, others