The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC) Ilorin Zonal has arrested a thirty eight year old Nigerian, Festus Akinyemi Abiona who was indicted by the Federal Bureau of Investigations of the United States over his alleged involvements in internet fraud.
Abiona had been on the wanted list of the Commission for more than eight months over the alleged fraud case before luck ran against him and was finally arrested in his hideout.
The Anti Graft body was able to fish him out last week Wednesday 6th of February 2020 in his beautifully built duplex in Arepo Ogun State despite the fact that he has refused to step out of his house since he got wind of the EFCC/FBI case for the past five months because of fear of being arrested but as the slogan of the EFCC says that ‘Wherever you are,EFCC will get you’
In the petition dated 10th of July 2019, the Federal Bureau of Investigations alleged the suspect was involved in business email comprises (BEC) and other computer enabled fraud.
The petition stated further that ” In may 2016, the FBI received information that an actor or actors bypassed online security to steal money from retirement accounts held by an insurance company for Public Workers in the United States, which resulted in the loss of approximately $2,500, 000″
Investigation into the case by the Commission revealed that the person behind the business email compromise is Festus Akinyemi Abiona and his syndicate members.Millions of naira have been traced to his bank accounts and some of the emails used in perpetrating the fruad have been taken over from the suspect.
The petition explained further that ” The accounts contained numerous communications between Abiona and other criminals co-conspirators seeking to commit business email compromise ( BEC), Tax Refund Fraud, and other Computer enabled fraud ”
It was gathered that the Suspect on sighting the operatives of the EFCC flushsd all his sim cards into the toilet and destroyed all his Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs) in order to destroy evidence
Even though the suspect has refused to make statements since his arrest, the anti graft body is making efforts to arraign him in Court
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory