The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Friday, said it has secured the conviction of one Chidi Onouha, a serial hacker, who was dragged by the commission before a Gombe State High Court.
Mr Wilson Uwujaren, the commission`s spokesman in a statement issued in Abuja, said Onouha was convicted on Thursday by Justice Beatrica Iliya on a two-count charge of advance fee fraud.
According to him, the accused was arrested following a petition by one Joseph Goje on June 1.
Uwujaren said Goje had alleged that the convict in connivance with one Chinedu, who is currently at large, hacked into his GTBank account and withdrew N1.5 million.
He added that the fraudsters succeeded in gaining access into Goje`s internet banking accessories, including his token device, email account and mobile number and blocked his access.
The fraudsters he further added, consequently used the devices to defraud Goje of the said sum.
Uwujaren said that on contacting his bank, Goje, who was studying in the United Kingdom, was informed that his account had been tampered with by an undisclosed third party.
“Subsequently, he petitioned the EFCC, which immediately swung into action, Onouha was arrested and charged to court and he pleaded guilty to the charges,’’ the EFCC spokesman said in the statement.
He added that upon his acceptance of guilt, counsel to EFCC, Israel Akande, urged the court to convict him and sentence him to jail.
According to him, counsel to the defendant, Abubakar Bormi, however, pleaded for clemency on the ground that the 25-year-old accused showed remorse and had made restitution by refunding the money.
“In consideration of the defense counsel’s plea, the judge commuted the sentence to N100, 000 fine on each of the two counts.
“She ordered the convict to be remanded in prison custody till he paid the fine,’’ Uwujaren said in the statement.
- NSCDC arrest 7 suspects over alleged energy theft/meter tampering in Kwara
- SAD….34-year-old Sodiq Adebisi dies during football training
- 150 Days in Office: CDS, Gen. CG Musa: A Pragmatic silent achiever
- Ibadan-based herbalist, Ojuwoni Atakoro, one other remanded in Ilorin prison
- Proper use of national budget, critical to economic dev —Akpabio
- EFCC, DSS, NCoS bosses To Face Reps C’ttee Over Failed Attempt To Rearrest Emefiele
- Senator Hussaini sympathises with Kaduna people over misdirected bombing
- Senator Natasha seeks NCDMB, NAFDAC partnership on alternative medicine
- Senate gives NPA 48hrs ultimatum to produce unaccounted $1.8bn
- KWASACA seeks stakeholders’ support to end HIV/AIDS by 2030