Egyptian security forces killed 11 suspected militants in the Suez Canal city of Ismailia as part of a campaign aimed at “foiling terrorist attempts to destabilise northern Sinai,” the Ministry of Interior said on Tuesday.
“Security forces monitored movements by some leaders in northern Sinai who planned to carry out a series of attacks against vital institutions and Christian places of worship,’’ the ministry added.
The campaign came after Friday’s assault on a mosque in northern Sinai which killed 305 people, the deadliest attack in Egypt’s modern history.
“A shoot-out erupted when security forces targeted a suspected militant hideout in Ismailia, around 115 kilometres north-east of Cairo, which led to the killing of 11 suspects, who are yet to be identified,’’ the ministry said.
The forces also confiscated weapons and home-made explosive devices, while another nine suspects were arrested for “providing logistical support” for insurgents in northern Sinai.
Prosecutors have said between 25 and 30 militants attacked the al-Rawdah mosque in the village of the same name, shortly after Friday’s noon prayers.
However, no group has yet claimed responsibility. Militants affiliated with Islamic State have claimed previous attacks in Egypt.
Those earlier attacks mainly targeted security forces and the country’s minority Christian community.
Report says assaults on mosques are rare in mostly Muslim Egypt.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents