The Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya has urged troops of the Nigerian Army to remain apolitical and professional in the discharge of their constitutional responsibilities during electioneering period.
Yahaya gave the charge in his goodwill message to troops on the occasion of Eid-El-Fitri celebration released by the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu on Friday in Abuja.
The COAS advised officers and soldiers to defend the nation’s democracy, avoid being lured into politics and commended them for their sacrifices and commitment in the ongoing operations nationwide.
He urged them to leverage on the holy season of Ramadan to reflect on the significance of loyalty, obedience and sacrifice.
Yahaya said the season provided a unique opportunity to re-examine and re-adjust efforts toward fulfilling their constitutional roles and justify the confidence reposed in them by Nigerians.
He charged field commanders to redouble efforts in ongoing operations and achieve results.
According to him, the best Sallah gift he expects from them is to eliminate as many bandits, kidnappers and terrorists as possible, and recover as much weapons and ammunition from criminal elements.
The COAS paid special tributes to officers and soldiers who paid the supreme price in the defence of their fatherland and reiterated his commitment to training and welfare of personnel and their families.
This, according to him, informed his resolve to improve on medical facilities and services.
He said the treatment of personnel and their families, particularly those wounded in action would continue to get support and special vocational training to help them cope with their new health status and overcome associated psychological trauma.
The COAS expressed gratitude to President Muhammadu Buhari and all Nigerians for their unflinching support to the Nigerian army in the execution of its constitutional mandate.
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated
- How pastors treWe both wept when Sammie Okposo told me how pastors treated him – Apostle Suleman
- My presidential ambition is for Nigeria’s future– Peter Obi
- PDP reschedules campaign flag off in Nasarawa over police permit
- UniAbuja ASUU protest unpaid salaries
- Unilorin V-C extols Prof. Gambari’s virtues @ 78