Most Rev. Amos Madu, the Anglican Archbishop of Oji-River Archdiocese, has urged leaders in the country to lead with the fear of God by showing exemplary qualities at all times.
Madu said this while delivering a homily at the service of songs held for late former Vice-President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, at the Cathedral Church of the Good Shepherd, Independence Layout in Enugu on Tuesday.
According to him, why people are not happy in the country is due to lack of exemplary leadership qualities among leaders.
“We will continue to pray for God’s intervention to give us leaders with impeccable character as well as men and women with forthrightness,’’ he said.
The archbishop, however, urged Nigerians to learn to live without giving or taking bribe as exhibited by the late Ekwueme.
“While Ekwueme was in power and out of power as well as wield a lot of political clout, he did not forget to attend church services and draw near to God.
“He was a very courageous man that led the progressives in G-34 to confront the late Gen. Sani Abacha to demand that Nigeria transit from military to civil rule,’’ he said.
Madu thanked his family, friends and the church for standing by him all these years.
Later, the Anglican Archbishop of the Episcopal Province, Most Rev. Emmanuel Chukwuma, prayed for the repose of his soul as well as the safety of his family members during the burial.
Chukwuma, however, thanked hundreds of friends, family and well wishers of Ekwueme for attending the service of song.
Dignitaries that attended the service included Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State; Speaker of Enugu State House of Assembly, Chief Edward Ubosi and President of Ohaneze Ndigbo Worldwide, Chief Nnia Nwodo.
Others are former Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji; former Secretary to Anambra State Government, Chief Oseloka Obaze; President, Nigeria Institute of Architects, Dr Adibe Njoku and Retired Justice Eugene Ubaezonu of the Court of Appeal.
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92