Emefiele reveals what will happen to old naira notes after Feb. 10 deadline
“Commercial banks must accept the money even after the 10 February deadline”, he said.
ROYAL NEWS reports that CBN had earlier announced February 10, 2023 as the deadline for the swapping of old naira notes for the newly-designed N1,000 and N500 and N200 notes.
However, while appearing before the House of Representatives committee on the new naira redesign and naira swap policy on Tuesday, the CBN boss said banks will still accept the old notes after the deadline.
Emefiele said subject to Section 20, Subsection 3 of the CBN Act 2007, even after the old currencies have lost legal tender status, the CBN will continue to accept the old notes.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- CBN releases cash, orders banks to operate on weekends
- Supreme Court opens up on CJN trip, meeting Tinubu
- Buhari never said he wouldn’t hand over to Tinubu– Presidency
- Okowa congratulates Adeleke on Appeal Court victory
- Ekweremadu, wife to be sentenced on May 5
- CBN confirms evacuation of banknotes, directs banks to open for weekend operations
- CBN begins monitoring of old notes circulation:
- Ademola Adeleke is the duly elected governor of Osun— Appeal Court
- BREAKING…Appeal court reinstates Adeleke as Osun governor
- Kwara Gov sympathises with residents over rainstorm, flooding incidents