Security was beefed up around Osun State Secretariat, Osogbo , on Monday due to protests carried out by some youths against Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) alleged brutality .
ROYAL NEWS reports that security personnel were seen across some strategic locations at the state secretariat to forestall any form of violence by the protesters.
Many youths were seen carrying placards with different inscriptions on them as they marched from the old Nelson Mandela Freedom Park to Osun State Secretariat, Abere.
The inscriptions read “EndSARS now,’’ “Stop Killing Us,’’ “Enough of the Killings,’’ “We Demand an Executive Order Disbanding Terrorist Squad,’’ among others.
Mr Akanji Adabalara, one of the conveners of the protest, told ROYAL NEWS that the essence of the protest was to demand an executive order by the president to disband the squad.
Adabalara noted that the Inspector General of Police, Mr Muhammed Adamu’s comment recently on the disbanding of the squad was not satisfactory, there must be an executive order by the president.
“We heard that the Inspector General of Police has disbanded SARS and even planning to redeploy them to other units of the force.
“The president must come out and address the entire nation by issuing an executive order disbanding the squad which has raised concerns among many Nigerians,’’ he said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment