Security was beefed up around Osun State Secretariat, Osogbo , on Monday due to protests carried out by some youths against Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) alleged brutality .
ROYAL NEWS reports that security personnel were seen across some strategic locations at the state secretariat to forestall any form of violence by the protesters.
Many youths were seen carrying placards with different inscriptions on them as they marched from the old Nelson Mandela Freedom Park to Osun State Secretariat, Abere.
The inscriptions read “EndSARS now,’’ “Stop Killing Us,’’ “Enough of the Killings,’’ “We Demand an Executive Order Disbanding Terrorist Squad,’’ among others.
Mr Akanji Adabalara, one of the conveners of the protest, told ROYAL NEWS that the essence of the protest was to demand an executive order by the president to disband the squad.
Adabalara noted that the Inspector General of Police, Mr Muhammed Adamu’s comment recently on the disbanding of the squad was not satisfactory, there must be an executive order by the president.
“We heard that the Inspector General of Police has disbanded SARS and even planning to redeploy them to other units of the force.
“The president must come out and address the entire nation by issuing an executive order disbanding the squad which has raised concerns among many Nigerians,’’ he said.
- Respect culture of your host communities– Traditional ruler to corps members
- Court orders INEC to accept Labour Party’s candidates in 24 states
- Kwara Govt engages additional 200 sweepers to improve public hygiene
- El-Rufai insists Aso Rock cabal working against Tinubu, vows to unmask them
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants