The Isi-Uzo State Constituency By-Election in Enugu State on Saturday begun without any hitches, even as voters conducted themselves in a peaceful manner.
ROYAL NEWS reports that INEC is conducting a by-election in Isi-Uzo State Constituency following the death of the member representing the area, Mr Chijioke Ugwueze, early this year.
The late lawmaker’s wife, Amaka Ugwueze is standing as the Peoples Democratic Party candidate, with Engr. Macdonald Ejiofor Okworfor contesting as candidate of the All Progressives Congress.
ROYAL NEWS correspondent monitoring the by-election reports that polling units had been activated with voting ongoing.
ROYAL NEWS further reports that eligible voters in Isi-Uzo council area were seen making their way to the polling units to vote.
Dr Emeka Ononamadu, INEC’s Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in Enugu State, told NAN that the commission had kept faith with the time set for the election and ensured that all polling units opened on Saturday at exactly 8:30a.m.
Ononamadu said that the verification and voting process had so far been without human or technical hitches.
He also said that the turnout of voters had continued to increase at each polling unit.
“We have fully activated all polling centres and units within Isi-Uzo.
“We kept faith with our timing of 8:30 a.m. and voting is currently ongoing in all polling units within the 11 political wards in the council area.
“It has been generally peaceful and the electorates had been conducting themselves in a matured and peaceful manner so far,’’ he said.
The REC noted with the hitch-free and timely commencement of the election, “it is highly possible that voting will end at 2:30p.m.’’
Nine political parties are vying for the post in the constituency by-election and major parties include the APC) and PDP.
A total of 69,626 registered voters in Isi-Uzo council area are expected to vote.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday
- 2023: Be careful of politicians’ craftiness– Don warns journalists
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion