Former France international defender, Jean-Pierre Adams has died at the age of 73.
Adams spent the last 39 years in a coma following an anaesthesia error at Lyon Hospital as part of a routine knee operation he undertook at the age of 34 on March 17, 1982.
He was confirmed to have died on Monday morning at Nimes University Hospital.
Back in 1982, after suffering a ligament rupture injury, the former Nice and Paris Saint-Germain centre-back had routine knee surgery but an error from the anaesthetist starved his brain of oxygen and he slipped into a coma.
Adams, who had two sons to his wife, Laurent and Frédéric, had had a problem with the anesthesia and the doctor operating on his knee is reported to have been working on eight patients concurrently.
Adam’s life was turned upside down following the botched operation. He spent over half his life in a coma and throughout that time, he was supported by his incredibly loyal wife Bernadette.
Speaking last year, she told CNN: “No one ever forgets to give Jean-Pierre presents, whether it’s his birthday, Christmas or Father’s Day.”
The former France international spent the majority of his day in a modified bed. Despite his health, Bernadette continued to gift her husband with presents, including clothes and aftershave.
“We buy presents like a T-shirt or a jumper because I dress him in his bed – he changes clothes every day,” she added.
“I’ll buy things so that he can have a nice room, such as pretty sheets, or some scent. He used to wear Paco Rabanne but his favorite one stopped so now I buy Sauvage by Dior.”
‘It’s all fine, I’m in great shape,’ he reportedly said to his wide Bernadette on the morning of the operation in what proved to be his final words.
In a statement, PSG said Adams’ “joie de vivre, charisma and experience commanded respect”.
Nice said the club would pay tribute to Adams – who won 22 caps for France between 1972-1976 – before their next home game against Monaco on 19 September.
Adams also made 84 appearances for Nimes, who said they were sending their “most sincere condolences to his loved ones and his family”.
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death