Ex- NTA DG blames political class for Nigeria’s woes
A Veteran Broadcaster and former Director – General of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Dr Tonnie Iredia, has blamed the political class for the problems the nation is presently facing.
Iredia who’s stated this in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital while speaking with journalists stressed that, “the politicians involved themselves in a game which rules they abandoned by playing the game of politics outside the rules.”
The former Director – General further disclosed that as we speak now, various political leaders are engaged in endorsing one man for election or the other, yet , the time for electioneering has not been declared meaning that they are already playing the games outside of the rules.
He therefore implored the political class to play the games by the rules , warning that if elections are not gotten right, the right persons would not be elected and if the right persons are not elected, the country will not be able to garner visionary leaders who can formulate policies that will transform the society.
Iredia also urged Nigerian journalists to be more up and doing in the discharge of their duties as the 2019 general elections draw nearer particularly in ensuring that they do adequate follow up in the full coverage of elections at all levels and see that they put the electoral umpires on its toes .
The retired broadcaster urged government to ensure proper funding of the media and enjoined the regulators of media houses to take the aspect of the welfare of media practitioners very paramount while the media should abide strictly by the Nigerian Broadcasting Code .
“Freedom of the press goes beyond the legal freedom as entrenched in section 22 of the Nigerian constitution”, he added.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- What Buhari told Nigerians in his 38–paragraph final address
- Yoruba nation promoters take over FG Radio station, declares self-govt
- President Buhari confers citizenship on 385 foreigners
- I have made Nigeria better– Buhari insists
- Bakare utters suprising statements as Tinubu takes over power tomorrow
- Tuition increment: 2 UNIABUJA students expelled
- Defence Minister hand-over to Perm Sec., Ibrahim Kana
- Lagos to ban parking on roads
- South-east eternally grateful for Second Niger Bridge completion– Soludo
- Buhari, Shettima, Sultan, others attend Inauguration in Abuja