Justice Dije Abdu Northerner of the Kano state High Court has convicted and sentenced former Oceanic bank staff, Aliyu Suleiman, to 195 years imprisonment for allegedly stealing over N21, 000,000 (Twenty one Million Naira only) from Albasu Microfinance Bank.
As a former staff of Oceanic Bank, Aliyu was engaged and entrusted by the Albasu Community to take charge of their Microfinance Bank. While in charge, he violated that trust and siphoned over N21, 000,000 (Twenty Million Naira) by forging signatures of the other signatories to the funds.
He was first arraigned in court on September 30th, 2014. He pleaded not guilty to all the count charge brought against him by the EFCC. Delivering judgement in the charges brought against him, the presiding judge, Justice Northerner sentenced the convict to serve two years on each of the first forty four counts he was charged with and a fine of N300, 000 on each.
Where the convict defaults the fine, he is to serve additional six months imprisonment on each count. From count 45 to 74, the convict was sentenced to fine of N500, 000 or twelve months imprisonment on each count while on count 75 to 105, he is to pay fine of N200, 000 or twelve months imprisonment on each count with the exception of count 97 which appeared to be duplication.
The sentences are to run concurrently. The convict was also ordered to restitute the sum of N14, 815,000 (Fourteen Million, Eight Hundred and Fifteen Thousand Naira Only) to the Albasu Community or spend five more years in prison
Facebook Comments Box
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note