A former Nigeria’s Vice-President, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, on Tuesday night slumped and rushed to the Intensive Care Unit of Memfys Hospital for Neurosurgery, by Penok petrol station in Trans-Ekulu, Enugu State.
It was learnt that Ekwueme collapsed around 2am last Saturday, at his residence in Independence Layout, Enugu. Read also: NDLEA ban sales of hard-drugs in Kwara
The development comes barely 10 days (October 10) after he celebrated his 85th birthday.
Family members close to our correspondent said that the former vice-president went into coma soon after he collapsed.
“He was trying to get something from the table when he suddenly collapsed and immediately someone raised the alarm, we proceeded to revive him while cautious enough not to attract neighbours,” a relative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.
He added, “When it became obvious that he had lapsed into coma, we rushed him to a hospital (unnamed) in GRA (Government Reserved Area), but we were referred to Memphys Hospital by medical consultants who had critically examined his condition.”
The source said that the family chose to keep the incident secret for a while with the hope that Ekwueme would “miraculously” come out of coma.
“When there was no sign of improvement on Monday afternoon, we rallied round and informed the former governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, who is like a son, and he has been making plans to fly him overseas,” the source added.
Medical personnel at Memphys Hospital said that Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State broke down in tears on seeing Ekwueme at the Intensive Care Unit on Tuesday evening.
Although the governor’s visit was enshrouded in secrecy so as not to attract the prying eyes of the media and residents in the state, it was gathered that he could not hide his emotions as he wailed uncontrollably.
“My namesake, Ifeanyichukwu, do not leave us now! Even if you must go, please wait to see your daughter become the deputy governor of Anambra State before you leave us,” Ugwuanyi was reported to have wailed at the ICU.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections